Chili chicken is a sweet, spicy, and slightly sour chicken dish made with onions, bell peppers, and cooked mainly in soy sauce and chili sauce.
It is a very popular dish in China and the rest of South Asia as well. It is available in dry form or a saucy version but the most authentic recipe is a dry one.
It depends on how you lie your chicken chili and then nothing else matters. If you have never tried it before what are you waiting for, try it with this recipe?
This crispy chili chicken is just the perfect recipe that you can make at home. I Can say that with confidence because this recipe is tried, tested, and loved by anyone who has had the chance to get a taste.
In my experience, the best chili chicken is served at small roadside restaurants or stalls, and a glass of chilled beer makes it a complete package. This description must have watered your mouth so let’s just dive into the recipe.
- 500 grams Chicken (Cubed)
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Chili sauce
- 2 tbsp Tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp White vinegar
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1 tbsp Garlic (Minced)
- 1 tbsp Ginger (Minced)
- 4 small Green chilies (Chopped)
- 1 Onion (cubed)
- 1 Bell Pepper (cubed)
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Green onions (Chopped)
- Place the boneless chicken cubes in a large bowl and add salt, black pepper, ginger garlic paste, dark soy sauce, egg, flour, and cornstarch in quantities specified above.
- Mix all these ingredients with the chicken properly until the chicken is completely coated and allow it to marinate for 25-30 minutes.
- Once marinated, place a fryer or a deep pot over the stove and bring it to medium-high heat.
- Fry the marinated chicken pieces in the oil for 5-6 minutes or until they turn golden brown and crispy.
- Set the fried chicken aside and prepare for the sauce.
- In a bowl add water, soy sauce, chili sauce, tomato ketchup, white vinegar, and cornstarch and mix it well, and set aside.
- Heat a pan on medium heat and add 2 tbsp of cooking oil. Add minced garlic and ginger and fry it until it turns golden brown.
- Next, add green chilies, onions, and bell pepper to the pan and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, and sugar to the pan and mix it up until it dissolves.
- Mix and add the sauce you prepared and set aside and cook until the sauce is thickened.
- Finally, add the crispy chicken and mix it all up for 1-2 minutes and garnish it with green onions.