Seekh kebab actually means kebab on a skewer, made with minced meat mixed with few spices and formed into cylinders on skewers then grilled. Traditionally seekh kebabs are made on a barbecue grill or in a tandoor over coals, which adds more color and flavor to the kebabs.
But everybody doesn’t own a grill or tandoor at home. So there’s a very simple way of making these kebabs at home, you can literally make them on a griddle pan or even on a frying pan and they taste as amazing as the restaurant ones. Few simple ingredients and these kebabs come together in no time, they’re so easy to make so anyone can make these kebabs at any time.
- Add green chilies, fresh coriander and minced beef to a food processor and process until just combined (don't turn it into a very smooth paste). Transfer the mixture into a bowl.
- Grate one medium-size onion, then squzze the water out completely from the grated onion (otherwise there will be too much moisture in your beef and they will fall off the skewethen add it to your beef.
- Then into your meat add garlic-ginger paste, salt, pepper, chili flakes, chili powder, garam masala powder, cumin powder and coriander powder. Mix everything using your hand until well incorporated.
- Cover and refrigerate the meat mixture for at least 1-2 hours to marinate.
- To form the kebabs, first wet your hand with water so the mixture won't stick to your hand, then scoop out a medium size ball of the meat mixture and pierce it through a wooden skewer, then spread the meat on the skewer with your hand. Starting from the top push down on the meat, press your middle finger in a diagonal angle down the beef skewer to make the signature grooves on the kebab. Repeat the process on both sides until you get the desired shape.
- Heat your griddle pan/skillet over medium heat, then brush the pan with a little cooking oil.
- Add the kebabs to the pan and cook, flipping them to brown all around. (3-4 minutes on each side). Also, brush the kebabs with oil while cooking, if necessary. You can cook 4-5 kebabs at a time, depending on the size of your pan.
- Serve them with some fresh salad and naan/paratha/pita bread.
- This recipe makes 8-10 medium sized kebabs.