Rate This Recipe
Masoor dal (spiced red lentils) is extremely delicious and flavourful red lentil soup. A handful of ingredients and this easy masoor dal comes together in no more than 30 minutes. Then you add the tadka to make it more flavorful and colorful which you can skip if you want. Masoor dal is a must in an everyday menu in almost every Bengali house.
Servings: 5 Serving
- 1 Cup Red Lentils
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Whole Cumin Seeds
- 4-5 Count Curry Leaves
- 1 Medium Size Finely Chopped Onion
- 1 Tsp Garlic-ginger Paste
- 4 Count Slitted Green Chilies
- 1 Heaped Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ Tsp Red chili powder
- ¼ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 Medium Size Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Coriander Leaves
Masoor Dal Recipe
Amount Per Serving (5 Servings)
Calories 264 Calories from Fat 114
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 4.8g30%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
- First, wash the lentils thoroughly.
- Place a pan on the stove on medium heat and add 2 tbsp oil.
- Once the oil is heated add the whole cumin seeds and curry leaves. Then stir them for 30 seconds, or until the seeds splutter.
- Add finely chopped onions and saute until they become soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and saute until the tomatoes are soft.
- Then add the washed lentils and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of hot water and give another stir.
- Cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until the lentils are tender on medium heat.
- When the lentils are tender whisk them to break the grains properly.
- Finally, add chopped coriander leaves and give it a mix.
- Now to prepare the tadka place another small pan on medium heat and add 2 tbsp oil.
- Then add the chopped garlic fry for few seconds until slightly brown.
- Then add whole cumin seeds, dried red chilies, the curry leaf and stir it again for few seconds.
- Add the red chili powder at the end, give a quick stir.
- Pour the tadka on top of the cooked lentils, a quick stir and your very flavorful delicious tadka dal is ready to serve. You can serve the dal with rice or roti.