Masoor dal (spiced red lentils) is extremely delicious and flavourful red lentil soup. A handful of ingredients and this easy masoor dal comes together in no more than 30 minutes. Then you add the tadka to make it more flavourful and colourful which you can skip if you want. Masoor dal is a must in an everyday menu in almost every Bengali house.
- 1 Cup Red Lentils
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Whole Cumin Seeds
- 4-5 Count Curry Leaves
- 1 Medium Size Finely Chopped Onion
- 1 Tsp Garlic-ginger Paste
- 4 Count Slitted Green Chilies
- 1 Heaped Tsp Salt
- ½ Tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ Tsp Red chili powder
- ¼ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 Medium Size Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Coriander Leaves
- First, wash the lentils thoroughly.
- Place a pan on the stove on medium heat and add 2 tbsp oil.
- Add finely chopped onions and saute until they become soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and saute until the tomatoes are soft.
- Then add the washed lentils and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of hot water and give another stir.
- Cover and cook for about 15 minutes or until the lentils are tender on medium heat.
- When the lentils are tender whisk them to break the grains properly.
- Finally, add chopped coriander leaves and give it a mix.
- Now to prepare the tadka place another small pan on medium heat and add 2 tbsp oil.