This creamy red lentil soup, prepared Greek-style, will surprise your taste buds in the best way possible! Red lentils, combined with onions, garlic, and sweet carrots in a tomato-based broth. Infused with cumin, turmeric, black pepper. Finished with a bright splash of lemon juice.
Lentils are easy to use and are a great way to get a wide range of nutrients, from B vitamins to iron, fibre, and more. And because they are made of up over 25% protein, lentils are an excellent meat alternative.
And if you ever thought lentils were boring, this tasty red lentil soup with lemon, cumin, fresh herbs, and a dash of chili flakes is anything but bland. It hits the perfect balance of warm, tangy, and just a bit spicy (although, you can leave the chili flakes out if they’re not your thing.)
Plus, they cook so fast, and you never get to soak them in progress. That’s why they make a culminating go-to on active weeknights.
The best part, this easy red lentil soup takes one pot and comes together in less than 30 minutes!
Let’s dive into more about red lentils, and how to create this top-notch soup while accomplishing the extreme rich consistency.
- 1 cup Red lentils
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 medium size Onion (Chopped )
- 3 cloves Garlic (Sliced)
- 1 big size Potato (Thinly sliced)
- 1 big size Carrot (Thinly sliced)
- 1 medium size tomato (Chopped )
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- ½ tsp Red chili powder
- ½ tsp Cumin powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 4 cups Vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- Wash and strain 1 cup of red lentils.
- Heat the pot pan on medium flame.
- Add2 tbsp of olive oil and 2 tbsp of butter to the pan and let the butter melt into the oil.
- Add 1 medium size chopped onion and 3 cloves of sliced garlic and cook until it becomes translucent.
- Now add 1 big size of thinly sliced Potato and 1 big size of a thinly sliced carrot and cook for 6-8 minutes.
- Add 1 medium size of chopped tomato and cook more for a few minutes.
- Add ½ tsp of salt, ½ tsp of black pepper, ½ tsp of red chili powder, ½ tsp of cumin powder, ½ tsp of turmeric powder, and well.
- Add 1 cup of red lentils and again mix it thoroughly.
- Add 4 cups of vegetable stock and bring it to boil (you can add more stock if you need it).
- Partially cover the pot with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes over low heat.
- Now blend the soup with a blender until smooth
- Add 2 tbsp of lemon juice and mix well
- Now serve this hot and healthy soup with some crackers and enjoy the winters.